Tuesday, September 11

Blorganization

So part of our assignment this week was to visit several blog related websites, set up an aggregator/reader, subscribe to several blogs and write about it.

First though, a confession.

On the first night of class, we were told that if we had an existing blog or knew how to set one up, we could leave early and be on our way, but if not we should stick around and watch a demo. At the time I didn't have a blog or really any idea of how to set one up, but I gathered my things and left anyway.

Why? Faith in my favorite online service company, Google.

See a few months prior I was exploring Google's services, and saw that they had Blogger, Blog Search, and Reader programs. I had faith that night that when it was time to set up my blog, I would simply click the link and follow a few, simple directions.

My assumption was correct.

Google applications simply work for me. I would say it's safe to say I use the search engine everyday (both at home and for work). I love using Gmail (and the chat feature), and I use Google Maps several times a week.

Getting back to this week's assignment, its no surprise I set up Google's Reader as my aggregator.

It was straight forward, user friendly, and took under 10 minutes.

For class I subscribed to the following tech pages:

fark.com/geek - I visit fark.com all the time at work when I'm bored, and the geek page has quick links to news, new products and trends, usually with a witty description.

New York Times Tech Page - Similar to above, with a more professional spin, and the credibility that comes with the NYT.

CNET - I used this site to get reviews on the cell phone I just bought over the internet, but it is also good for computer and electronic news, trends, and product reviews.

Intro Interactive Blog - Could there be a blog more relevant to class? I think not. Having this subscription will allow me to stay current with any changes or discussion in ICM501.

I can see how using a Reader to consolidate updated posts can be a time saver, but I can also see how easy it can be to fall behind. I set up my reader less that 48 hours ago, and already the amount of new posts in my "in box" is in the triple digits.

I think it will be a useful tool for quick reference, but I must admit I already feel somewhat overwhelmed with information. Perhaps this will pass with time as I move towards using my reader less like an email inbox and more like the front page of a newspaper - that is, something to glance over and select what interests me.

Until then, I think my online habits will be a combination of actively seeking out new blogs, and browsing those of which I am subscribed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have heard of a lot of people using fark. Why do you like it?