Tuesday, October 9

Brotherly Love

Anyone who has been to the streets of Philadelphia probably noticed one of it's most unique and artistic charms - the many outdoor murals.

I'm in downtown Philly this week, and walking around I've noticed the dozens of works across neighborhood after neighborhood, and they inspired in me an idea, which in turn inspired this post.

Earlier in this class we discussed mash ups in their various forms, a popular version using Google Maps. It dawned on me today that the sheer size and scope of this city's public art could be creatively integrated into a Google map showing the location and a digital preview for the user to enjoy.

This could benefit new artists by giving inspiration and ideas. It could also making it easier for existing mural artist's, such as David Guinn their fans to enjoy their work. It could benefit tourism by simply showing people where to find that which they may be looking for. And it would just simply be fun to look at.

In my online research I have found other websites, such as this, which have documented murals in the city, but I have be unable to find a clear, visual based map with which to explore.

I ask any of my readers with Google Maps mash up experience if they are interested in creating such a site, and if so to contact me. Aside from the fun of getting outside and taking pictures of some amazing art, I think creating such a mash up would be a rewarding and informative experience that relates to Intro to Interactive Communications and the other class I'm taking this semester, Visual Aesthetics.

No comments: