Tuesday, October 23

A Whole New World

By the time I got home from work, finished reading a few articles for class, and made my way to my computer, I was getting tired. It was about 3:15 am, and I figured I would spend ten minutes or so checking out what all the hype was about on SecondLife.com


After creating and verifying an account and downloading the necessary software, I noticed something odd - I was no longer tired. In fact, I was really exited. This came as a complete surprise, because until that moment, honestly I couldn't understand the appeal of Second Life, and other multi-user virtual environments (or MUVE) online.


I would ask myself, why would people put so much time and effort into a virtual self? Wouldn't that time and effort be better used improving one's own, real-life self? Are the users so desperate to escape their existing reality that the only place they feel comfortable is in a virtual skin?


But after reading Pine's article "The Experience Economy," and logging into second life myself, I think I am finally starting to see the appeal.


Like so many things in life, it's not simply the intrinsic value in which we find value. Yes Second Life is a computer program, but it's real appeal is the feeling it can give its users. As Pine describes on page 17, "Manufacturers must explicitly design their goods to enhance the user's experience as well - essentially experientializing the goods - even when customers pursue less adventurous activities. Automakers do this when they focus on enhancing the driving experience." In other words, its not just the miles per gallon that sells cars, its the wind in your hair.

With this in mind, I started thinking beyond the concept of walking around a virtual map or dressing up in virtual clothes. Now I'm starting to realize it isn't the medium that's important, its the message, emotions, and connections being made. For the truly engaged user, it is not interacting with a keyboard and screen, but rather other people and environments. The same way a book can take us to another place or a phone can connect us with others far away, MUVE should be looked at as a tool and toy of human desire.


But the barrier between the real world and the virtual is far from crystal clear. I ran into interface and bandwidth issues, and about a half hour in the entire program crashed. I may not have gotten lost in Second Life, but I could finally see how people could.

While my experience within Second Life may limited, I can assure you I'll go back for more. I have a feeling virtual online worlds are still in their infancy, and as an interactive communication scholar, I am exited to see what the future of MUVE have in store.

That, and there is just something so cool about being able to fly.




Pine, B.J., & Gilmore, J.H. (1999). The Experience Economy. Cambridge: Harvard Business School Press, pp. 1-26.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So, what did you think of the experience? Did you enjoy it? Will you consider playing it more often?

Anonymous said...

Why not go bounce on a trampoline? That simulates flying! Plus its REAL LIFE...you can FEEL the flying. As cool as 'online flying' may seem...you don't get the same feeling as jumping out of plane and flying.